Hiring a Home Remodeling Contractor in Girdwood Alaska
So you have finally decided that it’s time to find a home remodeling contractor in Girdwood AK for a kitchen or bathroom makeover. Or maybe you decided that it’s time to start that basement finishing project that you have been putting off for too long. But now that you have made your decision, just how do you find and hire a company that will complete your project to your satisfaction? And, most importantly, complete it at a price that you can afford? A residential general contractor can be a one man shop or part of a larger home improvement or construction company. They should offer a wide range of services and have an excellent reputation for quality work at reasonable prices. And for your convenience, you should be able to receive quotes prior to making your final decision. That way you will avoid surprises by knowing how much the job will cost before work begins. So now that you know what you want, let’s take a look at how you can find and hire a professional home improvement contractor.
Home Makeover Services
As previously mentioned, it is important to find a remodeling specialist that offers a wide range of services. They should be able to handle all facets of the makeover, including carpentry, plumbing and electrical work. Most Girdwood AK contractors can offer their services for any area of your home. Following is a partial list of some of those service offered by most companies in your area. This list is not all inclusive, so if there is a service that you are interested not listed, be sure to inquire with your quote request.
- Home Repairs and Restoration
- Home Remodeling
- Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
- Garage and Basement Remodeling
- Home Additions
- Major Renovations for Multiple Rooms
- Renovations to Accommodate a Disability
- Partial or Complete Rebuild or Construction
In general , any service related to the improvement of your home can be accommodated by a local Girdwood AK home makeover professional.
Choosing a Remodeling Contractor
Before hiring a general contractor for home remodeling, you need to be sure to properly vet the service so that you are confident you have chosen a skilled and reputable professional. Most Cities and States do have laws in place that provide some protection by establishing minimum standards and licensing for remodeling companies. However, although Girdwood AK remodelers must abide by these laws, they do not always do so. And they do not guarantee that you will not be the victim of poor or shoddy workmanship, delays, or just plain bad results. So for your own protection, be sure to use the following guidelines to properly vet your potential remodeling expert before hiring him or her for your kitchen, bathroom or basement project.
- Get referrals. Asking for referrals from satisfied customers is one of the best ways to find a reputable and professional Girdwood AK home remodeling contractor. Asking friends and family members who have used a remodeling company is always a good place to start. You can also ask contractors that you have worked with if they can recommend a good company. Another option that is becoming more and more popular is obtaining quotes from services that pre-screen local contractors in your area. They will also ensure that the contractors are licensed and certified professionals for your protection. You can obtain free no obligation quotes by clicking the request form on this website.
- Verify Licenses and Credentials. It is a good idea to do some preliminary research into the background of the contractors you are considering. Confirm that they hold all of the licenses required in Alaska, Girdwood or your Local Municipality. Check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints as well as the Alaska Attorney General. Go online and check local reviews, such as Google + Local and Yelp, and visit their website. Find out if they hold any designations from professional organizations. All of these credentials and citations will give you an insight into not only their professionalism but their standing in your community.
- Meet with the contractors. Once you have narrowed down the list to two or three candidates have them come to your home to see the job first hand. Make sure that all bids are based on the same specifications and cover all of your job requirements. If their bid is unusually low or high, ask them why. Ask all pertinent questions, such as how long will it take to complete the job or do they anticipate any problems or delays. Be wary if the Girdwood AK remodeling contractor doesn’t ask you many questions.
- Check references. Before making the final selection, ask for and check references. Ask if the job was completed to their complete satisfaction. Ask if the job was completed on time and billed as quoted. Was there anything that the customer was not 100% satisfied with? Was there anything that they wish had been done differently? And finally, would they recommend this Girdwood AK contractor to friends or family?
- Get everything in writing. After making your final choice, be sure to review all of the documents that your Girdwood AK home remodeling contractor has prepared. Ask for certificates of insurance for the Workers Comp as well as Liability Insurance. Be sure to contact the issuing insurance company and very that the policies are current. Ask if they will obtain the Building Permit if required. Make sure that all services and materials that are included are detailed in the final proposal, as well as the total cost. Also make sure that the payment schedule is outlined so each party knows what is expected. Start and completion dates, dispute resolution, and warranties all should be covered in the final contract.
Girdwood Alaska Interesting Facts
Girdwood is a resort town within the southern extent of the Municipality of Anchorage in the state of Alaska. Located near the end of the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet, Girdwood lies in a valley in the southwestern Chugach Mountains, surrounded by seven glaciers feeding into a number of creeks, which either converge within the valley or empty directly into the arm. Girdwood is typically accessed by the Seward Highway (Milepost 90), with the main line of the Alaska Railroad paralleling the highway. By road distance, most of the community lies within 35 to 40 miles (56 to 64 km) of downtown Anchorage. According to 2014 estimates, a little under 2,000 people live in the valley.
Founded as a community to supply miners during the Turnagain Arm gold rushes of the 1890s, Girdwood was mostly a small, quiet place until the middle of the 20th century. Two events drastically altered that. The first was the establishment of Alyeska Resort along the slopes of Mount Alyeska, which became an international destination coincidental with Anchorage's civic promotion of itself as "The Air Crossroads of the World". The second was the 1964 earthquake, which devastated the original townsite located directly along the arm. Following the earthquake, most of the town moved further up the valley to a new townsite, though a few homes remained and a strip mall was later constructed along the Seward Highway. Historically dominated in the years since the resort's opening by seasonally-occupied vacation homes and seasonal activity at the resort, the opening of the Alyeska Prince Hotel during the 1990s has shifted the resort, and hence Girdwood as a whole, more towards year-round activity and a year-round economy. This has led to periodic debates about community growth and affordability of housing for resort workers, many of whom over the years have resorted to camping illegally on public lands.
Girdwood still revolves heavily around seasonal activity, with skiing and snowboarding at Alyeska Resort bringing visitors and their money into the community. Summer activities are also popular, which include hiking, fishing and rafting. The Girdwood Forest Fair, held every July, is the community's most significant visitor attraction apart from resort-related activities. Girdwood is located within the northernmost extent of rain forest on Earth, and also serves as the closest point of access to Chugach National Forest from Anchorage proper.
Originally called "Glacier City," Girdwood was founded as a supply camp for placer gold miners with claims along the creeks feeding Turnagain Arm. It was renamed for Colonel James Girdwood, a Belfast-born, Scots-Irish entrepreneur and linen merchant who staked the first four gold claims along Crow Creek in 1896.
Choose the Right Girdwood AK General Contractor
Well there you have it. Now that you have decided to give your home a makeover, it’s not as hard to find and hire a professional home remodeling contractor as you thought. If you follow the steps outlined in this article you can ensure that the home improvement company you hire will do the job right and at a price you can afford. In fact, you can request your free quotes from the preferred referral service on this website now. There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the top licensed home remodelers servicing Girdwood AK. So what are you waiting for? Find the right professional at the right price now!
More Cities in Alaska
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: Girdwood AK Home Remodeling Contractors Search results
Best 30 General Contractors in Girdwood, AK with Reviews ...
General Contractors in Girdwood, AK CCPA. About Search Results. ... General Contractors Altering & Remodeling Contractors Home Improvements. 2525 Blueberry Rd Ste 105, Anchorage, AK 99503. Website YP Ad Directions More Info. Ad Isabelle Construction & Excavating (907) 243-5845.
Best 30 Altering Remodeling Contractors in Girdwood, AK ...
Altering Remodeling Contractors in Girdwood on YP.com. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Altering & Remodeling Contractors in Girdwood, AK.
General Contractor | Girdwood and Anchorage, Alaska
General Contractor in Girdwood & Anchorage, Alaska For your new home, or next remodeling project, build with someone who will give you quality to last a lifetime. ... Schubert General Contracting is dedicated to customer satisfaction and focused on providing high-quality service. Our job is to fulfill your construction needs. ... For your new ...
Best 16 Masonry Contractors in Girdwood, AK with Reviews ...
Masonry Contractors in Girdwood on YP.com. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Masonry Contractors in Girdwood, AK.
Remodeling - Girdwood, Alaska - CJW Remodeling
If you need Remodeling in the Girdwood, Alaska area allow us to help you. We can help you get the work done you need by quickly connecting you with local contractors near you. All you need to do is fill out our simple contact form and we will match you with local contractors who provide Remodeling in your area.
Diversified Maintenance Girdwood 99587 Alaska Home ...
May 19, 2020 Everything good and bad you need to know about Diversified Maintenance Girdwood because we are located at the address PO Box 1095 Alaska 99587 in Anchorage county and we are listed in the category Home Remodeling Contractors Near Me and you can contact us via email or phone at (907)783-3275, click here to learn more and get hours, ratings and free expert estimates from Diversified ...
General Contractor near Girdwood, AK | Better Business ...
BBB Directory of General Contractor near Girdwood, AK. BBB Start with Trust ®. Your guide to trusted BBB Ratings, customer reviews and BBB Accredited businesses.
Top 10 Best Girdwood AK Home Builders | Angie's List
There are 23 top-rated home builders in your area. Allied Construction and Contracting. First Class Plumbing And Heating LLC. GP Construction. JENSON & SONS CONSTRUCTION, INC. Vannoy Electric. Environmental Testing & Research Laboratories, Inc. Builders Millwork Supply inc. Jensen ...
Top 10 General Contractors in Girdwood, AK (with Photos ...
The Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development recommends that homeowners insist on a detailed written contract. A home improvement contract is a written agreement defining exactly what work will be performed, the materials used, the start and completion dates, the total cost of the project, and a payment schedule.
Top 10 Best Girdwood AK Home Remodeling Contractors ...
From major remodeling and repairs of homes, and to small projects, Affordable Construction can take care of it all. Contact us today at 907-245-5722, or fill our online request form with your building ideas or to discuss your renovation needs. With Affordable Construction, you know you're getting the best.