Hiring a Home Remodeling Contractor in Huntsville Alabama
So you have finally decided that it’s time to find a home remodeling contractor in Huntsville AL for a kitchen or bathroom makeover. Or maybe you decided that it’s time to start that basement finishing project that you have been putting off for too long. But now that you have made your decision, just how do you find and hire a company that will complete your project to your satisfaction? And, most importantly, complete it at a price that you can afford? A residential general contractor can be a one man shop or part of a larger home improvement or construction company. They should offer a wide range of services and have an excellent reputation for quality work at reasonable prices. And for your convenience, you should be able to receive quotes prior to making your final decision. That way you will avoid surprises by knowing how much the job will cost before work begins. So now that you know what you want, let’s take a look at how you can find and hire a professional home improvement contractor.
Home Makeover Services
As previously mentioned, it is important to find a remodeling specialist that offers a wide range of services. They should be able to handle all facets of the makeover, including carpentry, plumbing and electrical work. Most Huntsville AL contractors can offer their services for any area of your home. Following is a partial list of some of those service offered by most companies in your area. This list is not all inclusive, so if there is a service that you are interested not listed, be sure to inquire with your quote request.
- Home Repairs and Restoration
- Home Remodeling
- Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
- Garage and Basement Remodeling
- Home Additions
- Major Renovations for Multiple Rooms
- Renovations to Accommodate a Disability
- Partial or Complete Rebuild or Construction
In general , any service related to the improvement of your home can be accommodated by a local Huntsville AL home makeover professional.
Choosing a Remodeling Contractor
Before hiring a general contractor for home remodeling, you need to be sure to properly vet the service so that you are confident you have chosen a skilled and reputable professional. Most Cities and States do have laws in place that provide some protection by establishing minimum standards and licensing for remodeling companies. However, although Huntsville AL remodelers must abide by these laws, they do not always do so. And they do not guarantee that you will not be the victim of poor or shoddy workmanship, delays, or just plain bad results. So for your own protection, be sure to use the following guidelines to properly vet your potential remodeling expert before hiring him or her for your kitchen, bathroom or basement project.
- Get referrals. Asking for referrals from satisfied customers is one of the best ways to find a reputable and professional Huntsville AL home remodeling contractor. Asking friends and family members who have used a remodeling company is always a good place to start. You can also ask contractors that you have worked with if they can recommend a good company. Another option that is becoming more and more popular is obtaining quotes from services that pre-screen local contractors in your area. They will also ensure that the contractors are licensed and certified professionals for your protection. You can obtain free no obligation quotes by clicking the request form on this website.
- Verify Licenses and Credentials. It is a good idea to do some preliminary research into the background of the contractors you are considering. Confirm that they hold all of the licenses required in Alabama, Huntsville or your Local Municipality. Check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints as well as the Alabama Attorney General. Go online and check local reviews, such as Google + Local and Yelp, and visit their website. Find out if they hold any designations from professional organizations. All of these credentials and citations will give you an insight into not only their professionalism but their standing in your community.
- Meet with the contractors. Once you have narrowed down the list to two or three candidates have them come to your home to see the job first hand. Make sure that all bids are based on the same specifications and cover all of your job requirements. If their bid is unusually low or high, ask them why. Ask all pertinent questions, such as how long will it take to complete the job or do they anticipate any problems or delays. Be wary if the Huntsville AL remodeling contractor doesn’t ask you many questions.
- Check references. Before making the final selection, ask for and check references. Ask if the job was completed to their complete satisfaction. Ask if the job was completed on time and billed as quoted. Was there anything that the customer was not 100% satisfied with? Was there anything that they wish had been done differently? And finally, would they recommend this Huntsville AL contractor to friends or family?
- Get everything in writing. After making your final choice, be sure to review all of the documents that your Huntsville AL home remodeling contractor has prepared. Ask for certificates of insurance for the Workers Comp as well as Liability Insurance. Be sure to contact the issuing insurance company and very that the policies are current. Ask if they will obtain the Building Permit if required. Make sure that all services and materials that are included are detailed in the final proposal, as well as the total cost. Also make sure that the payment schedule is outlined so each party knows what is expected. Start and completion dates, dispute resolution, and warranties all should be covered in the final contract.
Huntsville Alabama Interesting Facts
Huntsville is a city located primarily in Madison County in the Appalachian region of northern Alabama. Huntsville is the county seat of Madison County. The city extends west into neighboring Limestone County and south into Morgan County. Huntsville's population was 180,105 as of the 2010 census. Huntsville is the third-largest city in Alabama and the largest city in the five-county Huntsville-Decatur-Albertville, AL Combined Statistical Area, which at the 2013 census estimate had a total population of 683,871. The Huntsville Metropolitan Area's population was 417,593 in 2010 to become the 2nd largest in Alabama. Huntsville metro's population reached 441,000 by 2014.
It grew across nearby hills north of the Tennessee River, adding textile mills, then munitions factories, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center and the United States Army Aviation and Missile Command nearby at the Redstone Arsenal. The National Trust for Historic Preservation named Huntsville to its "America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations for 2010" list.
The first settlers of the area were Muscogee-speaking people. The Chickasaw traditionally claim to have settled around 1300 after coming east across the Mississippi. A combination of factors, including depopulation due to disease, land disputes between the Choctaw and Cherokee, and pressures from the United States government had largely depopulated the area prior to 1805. That year Revolutionary War veteran John Hunt settled in the land around the Big Spring. The 1805 Treaty with the Chickasaws and the Cherokee Treaty of Washington of 1806 ceded native claims to the United States Government. The area was subsequently purchased by LeRoy Pope, who named the area Twickenham after the home village of his distant kinsman Alexander Pope.
Twickenham was carefully planned, with streets laid out on the northeast to southwest direction based on the flow of Big Spring. However, due to anti-British sentiment during this period, the name was changed to "Huntsville" to honor John Hunt, who had been forced to move to other land south of the new city.
Choose the Right Huntsville AL General Contractor
Well there you have it. Now that you have decided to give your home a makeover, it’s not as hard to find and hire a professional home remodeling contractor as you thought. If you follow the steps outlined in this article you can ensure that the home improvement company you hire will do the job right and at a price you can afford. In fact, you can request your free quotes from the preferred referral service on this website now. There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the top licensed home remodelers servicing Huntsville AL. So what are you waiting for? Find the right professional at the right price now!
More Cities in Alabama
Business Results 1 - 10 of 10