Hiring a Home Remodeling Contractor in Jackson Alabama
So you have finally decided that it’s time to find a home remodeling contractor in Jackson AL for a kitchen or bathroom makeover. Or maybe you decided that it’s time to start that basement finishing project that you have been putting off for too long. But now that you have made your decision, just how do you find and hire a company that will complete your project to your satisfaction? And, most importantly, complete it at a price that you can afford? A residential general contractor can be a one man shop or part of a larger home improvement or construction company. They should offer a wide range of services and have an excellent reputation for quality work at reasonable prices. And for your convenience, you should be able to receive quotes prior to making your final decision. That way you will avoid surprises by knowing how much the job will cost before work begins. So now that you know what you want, let’s take a look at how you can find and hire a professional home improvement contractor.
Home Makeover Services
As previously mentioned, it is important to find a remodeling specialist that offers a wide range of services. They should be able to handle all facets of the makeover, including carpentry, plumbing and electrical work. Most Jackson AL contractors can offer their services for any area of your home. Following is a partial list of some of those service offered by most companies in your area. This list is not all inclusive, so if there is a service that you are interested not listed, be sure to inquire with your quote request.
- Home Repairs and Restoration
- Home Remodeling
- Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
- Garage and Basement Remodeling
- Home Additions
- Major Renovations for Multiple Rooms
- Renovations to Accommodate a Disability
- Partial or Complete Rebuild or Construction
In general , any service related to the improvement of your home can be accommodated by a local Jackson AL home makeover professional.
Choosing a Remodeling Contractor
Before hiring a general contractor for home remodeling, you need to be sure to properly vet the service so that you are confident you have chosen a skilled and reputable professional. Most Cities and States do have laws in place that provide some protection by establishing minimum standards and licensing for remodeling companies. However, although Jackson AL remodelers must abide by these laws, they do not always do so. And they do not guarantee that you will not be the victim of poor or shoddy workmanship, delays, or just plain bad results. So for your own protection, be sure to use the following guidelines to properly vet your potential remodeling expert before hiring him or her for your kitchen, bathroom or basement project.
- Get referrals. Asking for referrals from satisfied customers is one of the best ways to find a reputable and professional Jackson AL home remodeling contractor. Asking friends and family members who have used a remodeling company is always a good place to start. You can also ask contractors that you have worked with if they can recommend a good company. Another option that is becoming more and more popular is obtaining quotes from services that pre-screen local contractors in your area. They will also ensure that the contractors are licensed and certified professionals for your protection. You can obtain free no obligation quotes by clicking the request form on this website.
- Verify Licenses and Credentials. It is a good idea to do some preliminary research into the background of the contractors you are considering. Confirm that they hold all of the licenses required in Alabama, Jackson or your Local Municipality. Check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints as well as the Alabama Attorney General. Go online and check local reviews, such as Google + Local and Yelp, and visit their website. Find out if they hold any designations from professional organizations. All of these credentials and citations will give you an insight into not only their professionalism but their standing in your community.
- Meet with the contractors. Once you have narrowed down the list to two or three candidates have them come to your home to see the job first hand. Make sure that all bids are based on the same specifications and cover all of your job requirements. If their bid is unusually low or high, ask them why. Ask all pertinent questions, such as how long will it take to complete the job or do they anticipate any problems or delays. Be wary if the Jackson AL remodeling contractor doesn’t ask you many questions.
- Check references. Before making the final selection, ask for and check references. Ask if the job was completed to their complete satisfaction. Ask if the job was completed on time and billed as quoted. Was there anything that the customer was not 100% satisfied with? Was there anything that they wish had been done differently? And finally, would they recommend this Jackson AL contractor to friends or family?
- Get everything in writing. After making your final choice, be sure to review all of the documents that your Jackson AL home remodeling contractor has prepared. Ask for certificates of insurance for the Workers Comp as well as Liability Insurance. Be sure to contact the issuing insurance company and very that the policies are current. Ask if they will obtain the Building Permit if required. Make sure that all services and materials that are included are detailed in the final proposal, as well as the total cost. Also make sure that the payment schedule is outlined so each party knows what is expected. Start and completion dates, dispute resolution, and warranties all should be covered in the final contract.
Jackson Alabama Interesting Facts
Al Jackson Jr.
Albert J. Jackson Jr. (November 27, 1935 – October 1, 1975) was an American drummer, producer, and songwriter. He was a founding member of Booker T. & the M.G.'s, a group of session musicians who worked for Stax Records and produced their own instrumentals. Jackson was affectionately dubbed "The Human Timekeeper" for his drumming ability. He was inducted into the Memphis Music Hall of Fame in 2015.
Jackson's father, Al Jackson Sr., led a jazz/swing dance band in Memphis, Tennessee. The young Jackson started drumming at an early age and began playing on stage with his father's band in 1940, at the age of five. He later played in producer and trumpeter Willie Mitchell's band and at the same time was holding down a chair in the popular Ben Branch Band.
Future bandmates Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn first heard Jackson playing in Mitchell's band at the Flamingo Room, and the all-white Manhattan Club. Mitchell had also hired Booker T. Jones for his band. It was Jones who suggested Jackson be brought to Stax. He said, "You guys need to know about Al." Dunn said that Jackson almost caused his wife to divorce him, because after finishing his own gig at one o'clock, he would stop by a club to hear Jackson and would get home at four or five in the morning; "He was that good!" said Dunn. At first, Jackson was reluctant to join Stax. He felt he could make more money playing live than doing session work. He wanted a guaranteed regular salary to come over to Stax (although he continued to play on sessions produced by Mitchell for Hi Records). And so he became the first Stax session musician to be on a weekly salary.
Jackson became one of the most influential drummers in the history of recorded music at Stax, providing an instantly recognizable backbeat behind the label's artists, including Rufus Thomas, Carla Thomas, Eddie Floyd, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, and blues guitarist Albert King (whose work Jackson also produced). He co-wrote "Respect" and many other Stax hits. In the 1970s, he co-wrote and played on several hits by Al Green, including "Let's Stay Together" and "I'm Still in Love with You", at Hi, and he was also a session drummer for many artists, such as Elvis Presley, Bill Withers, Leon Russell, Jerry Lee Lewis, Eric Clapton, Jean Knight, Major Lance, Ann Peebles, Rod Stewart, Shirley Brown, Donny Hathaway and Herbie Mann.
Choose the Right Jackson AL General Contractor
Well there you have it. Now that you have decided to give your home a makeover, it’s not as hard to find and hire a professional home remodeling contractor as you thought. If you follow the steps outlined in this article you can ensure that the home improvement company you hire will do the job right and at a price you can afford. In fact, you can request your free quotes from the preferred referral service on this website now. There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the top licensed home remodelers servicing Jackson AL. So what are you waiting for? Find the right professional at the right price now!
More Cities in Alabama